NURSERY: comprises one unique educational cycle, fundamental to the success of all students
Nursery is the first stage of the children’s journey through the French education system.
It provides a solid educational and pedagogical foundation for further development in the following stages during the entire schooling.
At nursery, children aged 3-5 acquire good knowledge of French, essential for further education at primary school.
Nursery inspires the children’s wish to go to school to study, grow and assert their personality.
The curriculum lessons are divided into five areas.
- Using the language in all its modalities
- Nursery will enable the children to mobilise two components of the language simultaneously through various activities:
- Oral expression will enable the child to speak properly, to dare to communicate and to start analysing the spoken language.
- Written expression: Children discover the world of writing through different activities which will prepare them for reading and writing which will start in CP (Year 1).
- Acting, expressing, understanding through physical activities
- Physical and artistic activities contribute to developing motor skills, senses, feelings, intellectual abilities and social skills.
- All those activities engage, inspire, enrich the imagination and provide an opportunity to express emotions and experience new sensations.
- Daily physical activities will contribute to health education and enable all children, regardless of their “performance”, to experience the joy of physical movements and effort, to know their body better in order to respect it more.
- The physical activities are various: moving around for some time or while handling objects, adapting balance and movements to different surroundings, communicating with others through activities with artistic and expressive aims, learning about cooperation and how to be a teammate and an opponent in collective games.
- Acting, expressing, understanding through artistic activities
- Nursery offers an opportunity to be involved in artistic activities and explore different cultural references.
- Involvement in artistic activities develops the need for artistic expression.
- Children discover various forms of artistic expression.
- Artistic activities help children to experience and express emotions, to express their choices.
- Developing the first tools to structure the thought processes
- Discovering numbers and using them to express quantities, to classify things or find the correct order.
- Acquiring a stable knowledge of small numbers.
- Discovering shapes, sizes, organized sequences: how to classify, arrange, reproduce shapes.
- Exploring the world
- During these three years at nursery, the children learn to observe the surrounding world and to ask questions.
- They practise reasoning, experimenting and understanding.
- They learn about space and time orientation.
- Learning about living things, man-made objects and the matter sparks their curiosity.